The Centurion Aerospace Village (CAV) is the authorised implementation arm of the Department of Trade and Industry (the dti) with a mandate to develop a sustainable hi-tech industrial park to strengthen South Africa’s aerospace, defence and advanced manufacturing industries’ value chains to participate and compete globally.
The CAV is an intended Advanced Manufacturing Cluster aimed at attracting and retaining both foreign and local manufacturers and service providers specialising in Commercial, General and Recreational Aviation Aircraft, Defence Systems and Unmanned Systems excluding Ballistics. The Aerospace and defence industries are important contributors to the South African economy and support through co-location of like-for-like businesses can offer increased benefits derived from economies of scale and scope.
The CAV will offer Cluster Programmes such as:
- A SMME Multi-Tenant Facility
- A Skills Development and Training Programme
- Small Medium and Micro Enterprise (SMME) Development through an Incubation Programme
- A Shared Logistics Centre
The CAV will support the further development of the South African aerospace and defence Industries and stimulate economic growth through the formation of a hi-tech industrial park that business will prefer to locate in, in order to gain a competitive and cost effective advantages from:
- Support to further develop a sustainable supplier base
- Attraction and retention of key industry players as anchor tenants and service providers
- Take advantage of the opportunities prescribed to new entrants to the industry to benefit from incubation programmes aimed at promoting B-BBEE and SMME development
- Provision of facilities and services to complement high levels of technical competency
- Stimulation of Hi-Tech Innovation, Research & Development including promotion of 4IR
- Creation of economies of scale & agglomeration to develop and sustain these clustering effects.
CAV Landside Information
- 13,6ha located outside the eastern boundary wall of the Waterkloof Air force Base in Centurion within the City of Tshwane Municipality
- Focused on tenants and owners of facilities that do not require runway access and/or hanger space
- Available Funding Options are Build-to-Suit (Design-Build) or Build-Operate-Transfer
- SMME Multi-Tenant Facility for smaller companies sharing in common infrastructure such as offices and meeting rooms.
CAV Future Phases
- Airside development phase – 36ha
- C-side development phase – 30ha
Benefits To Investors / Tenants
A comprehensive shared services model will be developed to support these industries by benefiting from economies of scale and agglomeration, improved processes, increased productivity and cost competitiveness of local manufacturers. These services are not exhaustive and include:
- Central Shared Logistics Centre with a Bonded Facility and other contract logistics options are planned
- Shared services such as canteen, medical, conference facilities, security and landscaping, etc., will be provided from the Central Hub
- Infrastructure and facilities maintenance services will be available
- Access to a state-of-the-art ICT infrastructure
- “One-Stop-Shop” services related to all regulatory and government requirements
- Market access support services where provided by government as part of international trade missions.